Wednesday, January 26, 2011

no turning back now

The new bathroom started in earnest today, with the builder taking out just about everything, save the toilet and the handbasin.  It's kinda scary, but at least I can still brush my teeth and have a wee.  This is what it looks like right now:


The plumber and the builder are back on Friday (I'm away for work in Auckland tomorrow) and more will happen then.  Hopefully.  It's hard without a shower.  Mrs Possum is not staying until the new one is back in.  Fair enough.  I'll be washing in the kitchen sink tomorrow morning.  I might shave my legs now in the lounge in front of "Supernanny".

Having the builder in has been a learning experience.  I have learnt that when a builder is coming over, I should ask ahead of time if they have any plans to remove the rubbish left behind... because I now have this:

and this:

all up in my entrance way and front yard.  (There's also a bath that was taken out, but I have a cunning plan for that which I'll cover in another post). I'm kinda pissy because there's bits of plaster all mixed in with the woodchip path.  I think I'm going to have to pick them out by hand.  Yeah.  Awesome.  And there's dust EVERYWHERE indoors.

I should note that I'm getting this done for cheap, so I should stop my bitching now.

Anyway, the upshot is that I've got a big skipbin coming on Friday for a week.  It's $129, but I'll be able to fill it up with the bathroom rubbish and all the crap I've removed from the backyard.  Because I have the skip for a week, I'm going to make a really huge effort to get rid of all of the "Bad Dirt" in the backyard, so that I can replace it with yummy nutrient rich potting mix for the veggies, as well as getting rid of as many weeds as I can deal with.  At the moment I'm relying on Mrs Possum's benevolence to take me to the dump with bags of rubbish, but I should just do it now once and for all.

While the builder was here I spent the day with the dogs out in the backyard digging more dirt and sorting out river stones (that's another post too!).  It was productive, but I'm buggered now.  I was so busy that I forgot to have lunch.  This is not like me at all.  I'm a big girl who likes her noms.  So, I defrosted a huge container of pasta salad that Mrs Possum brought home from her work's Xmas do and has been in my freezer since. It was fantastic - pinenuts, smoked chicken, capsicum, spinach.  (I reckon at least $2.50 to make).  I washed it down with a beer.  Perfect end to the day.

And I found two more pegs.  God is providing.

No comments:

Post a Comment