Tuesday, January 25, 2011

dump shop glory

I love going to the dump shop out at Happy Valley.  Every time I go there I see so many things I wish I could take home and fix up.  I have to stop myself from doing it.  At the moment I'm looking for planters for the garden, and the dump shop did not disappoint.

This is my $8 haul.
  • The green ceramic herb planter will be for Mrs Possum.  She was looking at one last weekend to grow her herbs in, it was $30! I am the best monkey ever for finding this. 
  • There's also a teracotta pot in there which will fit into the ugliest pot stand in the world, which lives outside my front door and keeps my herbs happy.  I'm thinking marjoram in there, from the free packet of seeds I scored the other day.  Pot would be maybe $10 if it was new?
  • 17 red tiles.  I'm collecting tiles that size in random colours so I can tile a splashback for my oven.  This now makes 81 tiles I've collected - I need 78, but I'll hold off starting it for now, maybe I'll fund some more colours...i also have to many projects on the go.  hmmmmn.  Tiles you can get on special this size (10x10) for $1 each... so it's like $17 worth!
  • The white cube will make a flash planter for out the front.  I have heaps of plastic buckets, but they make my front yard look random.  I don't really want my front yard to look random, so this is nice and tidy.  These sell for $9.95 at the Warehouse.
  • 2 ceramic saucers for under the plant pots.  These have never been used.  Will also make the front look less like a plastic bucket explosion.  I'd say they'd be $5 each at California Gardens.  At least.
  • The big green tub at the back is one of the local council's recycling bins - managed to pick this up too.  They have holes in the bottom perfect for planting.  Mrs Possum has a courgette that's ready to plant out this weekend, this will do nicely.  I've put compost and potting mix in it already.  You can buy replacements from WCC for $10, I think.
  • the other blue bucket is just handy.  More plants!  More buckets! 
  • I also got 1.3 metres of embroidered ribbon for my ribbon box.  You know, for when you really need a piece of ribbon but can't find one.  I never have that problem.
So, I reckon this has saved me $80 all up.  Winner is me.

1 comment:

  1. Good haul!

    I'm especially jealous of the herb planter and terracotta pot - but also love the concept of the random tiles splashback - great idea!

    ReplyDelete