Saturday, January 29, 2011

i heart newtown

Beautiful morning when i woke up, so off to the plumbing supplier down the road to get a new vanity unit for the bathroom - the plumber will be ready for it on Monday, so I need it asap.  We'd been out looking last night, so we had a good idea of what was out there, and what would fit into the very specific space.

In the old days I would've taken the car, but hey, I'm on the economy drive, so footpower it is.  Well, it was really lovely.  I walked through Newtown, forgot how much I love it.  Only took me about 10-15 minutes, and excitingly I found not one but TWO apple trees on council land on my walk.

Free apples! I reckon they'll be good for picking in maybe 6 weeks?  Awesome.

In the old days I would've stopped for a takeaway coffee (best coffee in Newtown = People's Coffee) or even a coke but no, I'm being focused.

Got to the plumbing place - what a disappointment. They totally ignored me as I walked around, sadly I guess they didn't know I was a keen customer who knew what I wanted with a pocketful of cash ready to buy something there and then.  Finally got their attention, they grudgingly showed me a catalogue, only one unit in there (same as I saw yesterday).  I asked how much, it was more then the other one... and then they said that it would take 10 days to order it in.  WTF?  So, won't be getting it from there, will head back to the other place this afternoon with Mrs Possum.

Walked back through town the longer way and stumbled onto a new veggie market I didn't even know was there! Every Saturday in Newtown Primary School. 

Had a look round, no 99cents / kilo tomatoes, but ended up with 3 butternut pumpkins, a huge broccoli, a pound of green beans and half a pound of mushrooms for $6.  Happy Monkey.  I might make Mrs Possum mince and mushroom pie for dinner, she might like that.


This morning's savings... $4 no coffee, $3 no petrol, $4 cheaper veg.  $11 by not taking the car, with additional savings to come when the apples are ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment