Tuesday, January 25, 2011

new bathroom excitement

I'm getting a new bathroom put in, as my current one is in such a state that it would be hard to get good tenants in with a bathroom in that state.  I mean, I could use it for me (and Mrs Possum), but really, it needs to be done.  So, I took a deep breath and decided to JUST DO IT. 

I ordered a 900 x 900 shower (new) off TradeMe.  It arrived today.

Three boxes are sitting by the front door.  Shower doors, floor and liner.  $555 delivered right to my door.  Delivery is important as whilst I love Dolly, she is the smallest car in the world and not so practical.  I was looking at Bunnings over the weekend - they were over $850, plus delivery, which I guess at around $50.

So, in excitement, I took out the tiles surrounding the bath.  I tried to get them all out in one piece, so I could use them for something... it worked, sort of.  I have a bunch of semi-broken tiles now that I'm going to use to strengthen my home made garden border in the backyard, and maybe "crazy tile" the back door where the dogs have scraped it.  I need to think about it some more.

I also unscrewed the hand towel holder, it's still real clean and shiny and not chipped or manky, as good as when I bought it six or so years ago.  They sell new for about $15. 

I reckon that the shower mixer, elbow and head will be used again, because they're in good nick, definitely good enough for a rental.  They had basic ones at Bunnings for $90, if I remember right.

The builder is coming tomorrow morning.  I need to talk to him about a vanity and a new toilet - the current toilet is old and sometimes dodgy with blockage.  I might get them myself, could be cheaper.  I dunno.  Yeah, I need to talk with him.

The three boxes also arrived with about 3 metres of strong tape for ease of carrying.  I don't know it's proper name, but it looks like this:

I don't know what to do with it, all I can think of is keeping it to us when my plants are big enough to require tying up to stakes.  I've asked Recycle This for help, so maybe something exciting will come from cyberspace.

My total budget for the bathroom is $10k, including plans, building, design, hardware.  I've saved this much already, so I know I have this money and it's okay.  I'm steeling myself for when they get the stuff out and there's damp. 

I'll burn that bridge when I come to it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment