Thursday, January 27, 2011

live from auckland

As the title of this post suggests, I'm blogging live from Auckland.  It's a beautiful sunny day, I'm outside right down by the quay killing time before my 11am meeting.  There was a time when I would've gone into a cafe, bought a coffee and read the paper to pass the time away.  Not now.  My awesome new frugality has meant that I'm drinking the free Sprite Zero I nabbed from the Wellington Koru lounge and enjoying the outdoors.  Auckland is definitely sunnier and less windy than Wellington.  On days like this it makes it hard for me to remember why I don't like Auckland.

This is the view from the board room where I had my meeting today.  You can see Rangitoto in the background.  Sigh.  I live in a beautiful country.

So, my free haul today consists of breakfast in the lounge, a can of drink, the Dom Post, the ODT, the healthy food magazine, some napkins I can use instead of handy towels back home and my in flight muffin, which I've secreted in my handbag for later (or probably freezing, who am I kidding?),  So, my total savings so far are:  breakfast ($2), free sprite not cafe coffee ($4) and the $32 worth of airpoints for this trip that work pays for, which I'll put to travel to Nelson at Xmas.  I'm not counting the papers and magazines, cos I would'nt normally buy them. 

Look at this - by leaving my home office for the day I've actually saved $38.   My return flight is at 5pm, maybe I'll score dinner out of the Auckland lounge as well!

Am I crazy?  Maybe obsessed?  I dunno.  I keep reading in all the other frugal blogs online that the little bits all add up.  I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment