Friday, February 11, 2011

sunshine and awesome

It's been another beautiful day in Wellington... sun shining, cool breeze, just beautiful.  And Friday to boot.  Everything is great in my world today.

I spent most of the day in the garden - Mrs Possum and I managed to have about 4 dozen winter greens sprout into baby plants... I know, I know. Far too many and so they're all a bit sad and pathetic.  I planted out about 40 of them, then built myself a cloche from wire coathangers, old tent pegs and the thick plastic my potting mix was delivered in.  MacGyver indeed.  I was well proud, they sell for $30 at least.

Okay.  I admit it's not glamorous, but I'm hoping it will do the trick.  The greens were tiny, I'm afraid I'm going to lose at least half of them to "transplant shock."  This was definitely a learning opportunity about how many seeds to attempt to germinate in one go and the importance of one seed per germination pot. Never mind. You can also see to the left some soda bottle halves - these are protecting the12 baby spinaches I also planted out this morning.  I think these are going to fare a little better than the greens.  I reckon at least 8 will survive the transplant trauma.  That will be good!

The basil continues to grow, I'm thrilled.  Only one parsley plant has made it so far, but it's strong.  The peas, beans, courgettes and two tomato plants I've already transplanted are still holding on.  FINGERS CROSSED!

Saw a lovely old mate last night to sign his application form / statutory declaration for a new passport - realised mine expires next month, that was a bit of a shock.  Christ, I remember when I got it ten years ago that 2011 seemed like a lifetime away.  Perhaps it was.  Anyway, got a box of beer in return ($15), I am enjoying a cold one right now :-)

This weekend, I promise I'm going to put up the brushsticks along the back wall, get 54510945709 more bags of potting mix to finish off the back yard, plant the remaining 9 tomato plants and make my first batch of sourdough bread.  Would I lie?

No comments:

Post a Comment