Friday, February 18, 2011

and the next project...

To meet my goal of retiring by 40 has many different facets.  It seems as though I've been concentrating on the "saving money" and "growing my own vege" parts, but I have to remember all my other ducks I need to get in a row.  There's a list to the left ----------------->    of some things that weigh on my mind.

The most exciting thing that has happened THIS YEAR is that the funder approved my contract with the group I'm currently working for.  This means I have a steady stream of income up to 30 June 2012.  Oh yes.  What's more, I can work anywhere in the country for them (as long as I'm close to an airport). 

This means...I could get my Nelson house sooner, rather than later, now that I know I have income.  This has most excellently tied in with my trip to Nelson this weekend with Mrs Possum.  I have found some open homes that I'd like to drag her around to this weekend:
So, if I want to move to Nelson soon, I have to get my Wellington house ready to rent toute de suite!  The bathroom is... nearly there.  The plasterer has finished, now just waiting for the builder to return to finish the cornices, skirtings and the electrical stuff.

The backyard is coming along nicely, all I need to do is rake over the dirt in the back, cover it with bark etc, and give the paths a good waterblast.  I can do that in a weekend.

There are two big projects outstanding - the exterior paintwork needs some touchups and a decent clean.  This will be time consuming, but I'll do it in patches.  I need to paint the exterior lounge windows, that's number 1.  They're stripped and ready.  I'll break the rest of the house down into segments and tackle one (or two) a week.  If I write it down here, then I have to do it.  Ha.

The other big project is the second / spare bedroom.  Currently, this functions as my toolshed, gym, office and room where I put things I have nowhere else for.  I could never have a guest stay in there, it's too embarrassing.  Case in point:

You can see the floor.  Give me some credit. I'm tackling this room with gusto. 

That's it from me, I'm off to Nelson!

No comments:

Post a Comment