Thursday, February 10, 2011

sourdough, tomatoes and basil (my mouth is watering already)

Gosh, it's been a few days... that happens when Mrs Possum is here.

I have done many things.  Many, many things.  It's awesome.

First up, I finished the bath planter (will put in a photo when she's got her tomatoes in there) and had enough bricks (and brick bits) to build three small ones, perfect size for the courgette plants which were ready to plant out. (Using free bricks - 50c per brick x 50 bricks = $25)

Secondly, I finished building the retaining wall.  It was cheaper and easier than I thought it would be.  It took me more time to unload the retaining wall blocks from the car, then take them out the back than actually building the wall.  Best of all, it looks so much better than I thought it would.  My neighbours leaned over the back fence this afternoon and congratulated me!  (also, they were very impressed by the mint planter).

The beans, peas and courgettes are ready to plant out - all in bins in the front yard.  It looks great, I even managed to fashion a bean tower out of the packing tape I'd saved below.  Mrs Possum was like, yeah, I don't know, but I think I've convinced her.

From all the parsley seeds I planted, only 1 has come up.  It looks solid and strong though, so that's great. The mountain of basil seeds I planted is coming through like a dream.  Moar pesto FTW. 

I think the best score of the week is from a friend of mine, who's looking for a bike to take to uni.  I have a spare one in the garage I haven't used forever, so I said she could have it.  Well, yesterday, she came round to pick it up and in exchange left me some of her MAGICAL sourdough starter and ELEVEN tomato plants, which are huge and strong and ready for planting.  The sourdough starter is priceless, she made it herself as she was a chef in her previous life...  Tomato plants of that size and calibre in the garden store are $5 each... $55 dollars! 

And, finally... more free blackberries!  My secret blackberry patch has finally fruited, so I got about 250g of them.  I'll be back for more soon, maybe tomorrow.  ($3 there, I reckon).

Much excitement here. Nothing has happened on my bathroom in two days.  The plasterer will be "in next week."  I am hopeful and positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment