Friday, February 4, 2011

where has my week gone?

Friday already!  The week has, as the title of this post suggests, flown by.  I'm not sure if it's because there's been plumbers and builders here from 9 to 5, or because I feel like I've achieved quite a few things this week, or something else completely, but I am sure it's gone already.

Hilariously, the promise that "the toilet will be in and out on Wednesday did not eventuate.  Last night I was using a bucket to flush the new one, as it had only been half plumbed.  I like to think I'm preparing myself for doing it tough when the zombie holocaust arrives.  The shower, apparently "usable by the end of the week"  still has only the liner in place and the floor waste plumbed in.  I'm no plumber but even if they move like the wind and get the door in ad hook up the shower taps etc etc... it still needs to be sealed and doesn't that take, like, 48 hours?

I will stop my grumbling now, because I have to remember that in this time in a week I will have a brand new bathroom.  I have saved for it for three years and I can therefore easily wait another week.

My biggest thrill of this morning has so far been my free lettuce:

 Mrs Possum brought round a hydroponic lettuce a few weeks back for a salady dinner, when we were done with it I noticed that it came in a little green plastic container keeping its roots safe and warm.  We'd used the lettuce pretty carefully, just pulling off the leaves, so the root structure was intact.  I thought to myself... self... can you grow this back?   I removed the plasticy bit carefully, put it in some mix and my lucky plant pot (all plants that pend time in this particular pot rejuvenate, dunno why) and sat it on my bedroom windowsill for the best sun.  And,as we learnt in third form French, tiens voila!  Free lettuce = $1.50

 This picture also serves to double as the view from my bedroom window (onto the street).  The elements in the picture are, starting to the immediate left of the lustrous lettuce:
  1. baby marjoram plants.  This morning I have counted 12 that germinated out of 20 so far
  2. river stones in my self built zen garden.  I dug each one out from the backyard, washed them by hand and put them out the front, after laying down some weedmat and relocating pavers to go around the outside.
  3. big blue half shell planter, scored free from a friend last weekend, even had drainage holes in it for the plants!
  4. lettuce seeds trying hard to germinate under their plastic coke bottle greenhouses
  5. the buxus hedges growing in planters that hopefully one day will be big enough so I can plant them out for a "proper" border
  6. the deck that my friend and I built a few years back (still okay-ish.  Has a board that could break soon that I'll get around to replacing.  soon. promise)
  7. My black concrete planter that is exceptionally heavy and I haven't used yet because I can't work out where I'm going to commit to having it, because once I put it somewhere and fill it with potting mix, I fear I'll never be able to move it again.
  8. My white window frames and sills I painted last December now I can work from home. 
And that's the tour of the view from my front window!  Not very exciting or pretty, but at least it's 24 degrees outside right now (and it's only 9.30am).

More potting mix is coming today - 6 bags of 40 litres each.  The Warehouse a doing a deal this week that gives you free delivery.  Excellent!  It mainly means that the delivery guys will have to carry it up the steps to my front door.  Which is, you know, awesome.  (plus I reckon $2.50 on petrol).  I need more because I used the last of it up planting out the mint cuttings I propagated from Mum at Xmas and the row of basil seeds I put in yesterday.

I think the mints look awesome:

I used an old wine rack as a planter - which had already been recycled from old discarded terracotta pipes, making this its third reincarnation.  [smile]  I have two spaces left - I'm seeing mum in a fortnight, so will get some more from her then to fill in the two spaces.  I'm surprised by how easy it is to propagate mint.  I'm learning new skills every day.   Mint plants are about $2.50 each, so 8 x $2.50 = $20. 

The basil seeds are less exciting, they just look like dirt right now :-)

Picture it as a heavenly smelling carpet of sweet genovase basil just begging to be turned into pesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment